Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Final Stretch (November 24th - December 22nd)

It's been an interesting December to say the least. On December 4th, my wife and I welcomed our son into the world. Fatherhood has been amazing, but it has also meant that The Imaginary Bike Ride has not exactly been my #1 priority. When December started, I was in Ritzville, WA and a few miles ahead of my target pace. That all changed with Tate's birth.

The first 22 days of December have now included 11 days when I did not ride at all. Previously, I had a similar stretch in September when there were 13 days that I did not ride. At that time, I saw my mileage surplus, that I had worked so hard to build during the summer, drop from about 150 miles to only 40. Since I was already treading so dangerously close to target pace when December started, this drought has been much more costly. On December 20th, I dropped down to 70 miles behind my target pace (my lowest point since March 8th).

So, what does this all mean? It means that I need to put in some serious effort over these last nine days of the year, or I will fall short of my goal. In a worst case scenario, The Imaginary Bike Ride will carry over a few days into 2016, but that's not the way that I want it to go. When I originally mapped out my ride, I somewhat arbitrarily chose the end point of a shop called Surf Ballard, which I went to one time when I was in Seattle. As of December 22nd, I am 140 miles from Surf Ballard. However, I am only 127 miles from the Seattle city line. Ideally, I would like to make it to my original target, but since it was somewhat arbitrary to begin with, I'd be happy just to arrive in Seattle by the end of the year. Still, I'll need over 14 miles per day to make it to Seattle, and over 15 miles per day to make it to Surf Ballard.

Stay tuned! Hopefully I will have one more exciting update to this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment