Sunday, October 25, 2015

100 More Miles (October 18th - October 24th)

When I last posted, I had started to see my mileage surplus dwindle a bit. I was down to 9.5 miles ahead of pace. This was the first time it had gone down to the single digits since June 4th. Anytime that I get down to single digits, I come into danger of falling behind pace with just one day that I don't ride. However, this past week was a week of redemption. Over the last seven days, I've ridden 99.6 miles. This allowed me to add another 30 miles or so to my cushion. As a reminder, my wife is due with our first child on December 2nd, so the surplus is becoming more and more important, because December might be a tough month to get out on my bike in real life.

In the imaginary world, I am now in Stevensville, MT. Stevensville was founded in the early 1800s by Jesuit missionaries. It was originally known as St. Mary's before the names was changed in the 1860s (the name change was authorized by President Abraham Lincoln himself). Huey Lewis may or may not own a home there. The imaginary ride has been mostly downhill for the last week or so, with a couple of big inclines as well. It's nice to be on the west side of the Rockies.

Real life: The highlight of this week's actual riding was Saturday, October 24th. After riding downto Cleo's Bar to meet friends to watch the Arsenal match, we then participated in the Half Acre Beer Co. Anniversary Hunt. Basically, this means that we rode around Chicago solving riddles in order to win a mystery prize. Our team did win The Hunt and a free case of beer as the prize, but the real prize went to all those who participated. We got to go to a secret party at their unfinished and unopened new brewery with free beer, food, and shuffleboard. It was a really great time and just a really cool event in general. Mileage update: 2,997.5 total miles, 39.4 miles ahead of target pace. 637.9 miles to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment