Sunday, August 30, 2015

Everything is Bigger in Wyoming (July 24th - August 30th)

It's been over a month since my last post, so I guess I've hit a bit of a slump. I spent the rest of July making my way through the western end of South Dakota. I spent three nights in Fairburn (population 85), and one night in Hermosa (population 398). Then I rode into Keystone (population 337), which was the longtime home of Carrie Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie. Keystone was also a location from the movie North, starring Elijah Wood. I've never seen North, but it is the topic of one of my favorite Roger Ebert reviews:


I then spent three nights in Custer, which is supposedly home to the widest Main Street in the country. Apparently, its width was to allow a team of oxen pulling a wagon to turn completely around. Efficiency!

So wide!
I spent one night in Edgemont before crossing into Wyoming. I quickly learned that Wyoming was a lot different than any other state that I had passed through. Despite the fact that I consistently rode about 10 miles per day, I typically spent at least four straight nights in most of the towns or cities of Wyoming. I even had seven sleeps in a town called Ten Sleeps! As of August 30th, I am now in Basin, WY. I should be in Yellowstone National Park in about a week!

Making progress!
Real life: Since I last checked in, I've basically stayed exactly on my 10 mile per day pace. I have now ridden 2,530.5 miles, which is 120.2 miles ahead of my target pace. I took a three day break from riding in August, which is my longest rideless streak since early March.

No comments:

Post a Comment